2014/06/18

An Unlikely Love Affair: Marchesa Parfum d'Extase



Although I've always been fascinated with the art of creating perfume, I am somehow extraordinarily picky when it comes to scents. There's always something wrong. Too sweet. Too rich. Too fruity. Too creamy. Too powdery. Etc etc etc. In fact, I never really wore perfume simply because I couldn't find a single one I liked.

Until now that is.

The Marchesa Parfum d'Extase whisked my little heart away at first glance with its beautiful glass and crystal packaging, and when I smelled it, I knew it was the one. The perfume is said to be inspired by the brand Marchesa's collection of dresses, which are all so dreamy. The perfume is definitely a floral scent, the strongest notes being iris and jasmine. Jasmine and rose are very romantic scents, but I think the iris and lotus give the perfume a very clean edge as well. However, the thing that sets this perfume over all the other floral perfumes out on the market is that this perfume has the perfect balance of floral notes and green notes - possibly from the young violet leaves? - which takes away the sweetness and powdery quality that floral scents can often have and makes it smell oh so fresh.

I wouldn't describe this perfume as being a sexy fragrance, but there's something so effortlessly elegant and chic about it. Sephora describes this scent as being feminine and empowered, and I think it really is just that. For me, this fragrance evokes the image of the modern business woman: confident, intelligent; modern yet classic, modest yet powerful; someone who is perhaps not the strongest voice in the room, but who is always in control of the situation; and someone who is always dressed to perfection.

Now that I've perhaps thoroughly confused you with all my description, I have to say that you really have to smell Marchesa yourself to understand. The only downside to this fragrance is that it really isn't very long lasting, maybe a few hours at best, which is really such a disappointment because the middle notes and base notes of the fragrance get lost as it fades. I imagine it would fade to a more sensual, musky scent, which to be honest I wouldn't know if I'd like, so maybe it's a good thing. Who knows. Just keep a rollerball in your handbag and reapply throughout the day.

Have you tried Marchesa Parfum d'Extase?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin