2014/05/01

Makeup Menu #1

Exam season is finally over (cue huge sighs of relief) and I am back with blog updates. I have recently established a skincare routine that I am loving and my face is seeing to better days than ever before. While I would still like to give my skincare products a bit more testing time, I am also reluctant to try new products, so maybe we could do a month of Makeup May in the mean time.

"Makeup Menu" posts are going to showcase the selection of products I use for my everyday face. As a university student, every extra second of sleep in the morning is precious, so I like to go pretty simple with my products. This month, I've skipped primers and foundations and BB creams and all that jazz, and have turned to the much covetted Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (the shade Vanilla matches my fair-light skin perfectly) as my sole base. I had bought this concealer during the huge blogger craze, but never really got on with the product. I thought the product didn't blend well on top of foundation or BB cream and just had a very obvious made-up look to it. However, I recently tried this concealer on top of bare skin and have been loving it. I have a lot of acne scars, so I never thought I'd be able to pull off such a light base, but this concealer gives me such a perfected skin-like finish. I like to dab the applicator on any active spots or darkest pigmentation so I have the most coverage there, and then dab the rest of the product on the lighter spots. Then I just blend out the product by lightly tapping my finger, blending the product out in circles. One light layer of this product has my skin looking completely even, with some of the natural flush peeking through. If you have a lot of redness in your skin, this might not work for you, but the sunscreen I'm using has a bit of tint in it and has done wonders in evening out my complexion, so check back on the blog for a full review of that product.

I then immediately set my concealer with another blogger favourite, the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. To be honest, I don't think this product does a whole lot for me. I have yet to see the Instagram filter effect of blurring over my pores that everyone seems to rave about. The Nars Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder actually does have that effect and is basically everything I wished the Hourglass powder would be but was not. However, I am at my family's house for the week, and the Nars powder is a loose powder and does not allow for easy travel, so I have opted for the pressed Hourglass powder for less of a mess. If you are looking to try out a high end setting powder though, I would 100% recommend the Nars option.

Then on to a bit of brows, I've rediscovered the Shu Uemura Hard Formula Brow Pencil in my drawers and have been adoring it. The formula of this product is quite interesting. It's a wax pencil that sort of melts on contact with the natural oils on your face, so while the product is not very pigmented when swatched on your hand, it disperses just the right amount colour on to your brows. Very hard to overdo it with this pencil. I have the colour Hard 9, which is perfect for those with black hair.

Since the Nars concealer allows the natural pink tones in my skin to shine through, I've honestly been skipping blush altogether most days. When I really want an extra bit of colour to perk my cheeks up, I have the Gosh Natural Blush in Flower Power. This just gives a very natural rosy pink flush to the cheeks, and I'm all about rosy cheeks for spring. It's very pigmented for a drugstore blush, so application is easy. For lips, I've been loving another drugstore selection which is the Bourjois Color Boost Glossy Finish Lipstick in 03 Orange Punch. This comes in the form of a lip crayon and feels like a very hydrating balm. The colour just glides on and can easily be built up to your desired intensity. I am still loving orange lips, and this is perfect for a more subtle option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin